Friday, January 30, 2009

Blog Banter


Hi Guys!

Gabriel has agreed in allowing me to periodically post on his blog, as long as I allow him access to my email. Apparently GMail doesn't have any way to confirm Gabby's address as being in the Youl System, so to make life easier on the ole' boy, I just grant him access to my email.

The recent Blog Banter has come out and the question asked is, “How do we, EVE bloggers, adapt to changes as they are thrust upon us (speed changes, no more ghost training, all the dev blogs, etc), or as our lives make playing the game different (more time, less time)?”.

First off, as a "at-one-time" dedicated PvE'er, I can say that not all change is bad. Once you have rescued the Damsel in Distress a couple of thousand times, popped Zor's ship innumerable times, and have beaten off the EoM hordes in Gone Berserk for the ump-teenth time, you start to desire a little more of a challenge. This is what has driven me from Mission Running to Factional Warfare. So, with the various changes that are going to take place this year, I almost find my heart starting to beat a little faster in the knowledge that the game-play can only get better!

I had a chance to speak with Gabby about the matter, and he really hasn't shown his opinion either way. Gabe is so focused on the war that, as he would put it, “find working with agents (his way of what we call Mission Running) to be a distraction from what God has called him to do."

Now, the second part of the question is regarding time management. Unlike probably most EVE-Online game players, I have a distinct advantage. I am 44 years old (at the time of this post) and I am retired on disability. My primary duties entail, prepping for my classes that I teach, caring for my 78 year old mother, and house chores (paying bills, shopping, laundry {ugh!!}). This means, my schedule is relatively flexible! It's not uncommon for me to stay up until 2-3AM (Idaho Time) working with Gabe on FW plexing. If the corp. wants to schedule a 11:00AM mission ops, I don't have to be at a job, but can very easily fit my schedule around that. Through all of this I must confess that there are some things that I absolutely must discipline myself. From Monday thru Wednesday, I set aside time to work on my class preps. Any educator will tell you that for every hour of teaching, there is usually 3-4 hours of prep time. At the moment, I am teaching through the book of Genesis as well as the Life of King David. Sure, I could probably grab some pre-compiled Sunday School material, but my classes are geared more for the adult/ college level. So, to find me online during the first half of the week is a rarity, unless I am tweeking on a skill or something.

Blogging has also broadened my horizons a little. I've had The Bible Blogger for a couple of years now, but 99% of my posts are already online at Theology Online. My third blog, of which has just started up is the Online Astronomer. This reveals my interests in Astronomy.

As a whole, I am grateful for the life that I have been given. The stress is gone, and my blood-pressure is way down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice read. I am 5 years younger myself and I have a very understanding wife who enjoys her own pursuits while i blow up internet spaceships. Yes I taught PC troubleshooting classes for 5 years I understand the prep work needed! Thanks for your insight