Sunday, February 22, 2009

Getting to know you...

Recently, a fellow EVE Blogger posted a series of questions in order for you, our readers to get to know us more. Personally, I think this is a wonderful idea, but John is still a bit hesitant. By nature, he is relatively shy and feels that there should be some facts that would be best kept to one-self.

My reply to him? "Balder Dash!"

So, rather than John answer these questions, I thought it might be a fine idea if I answered them instead!

1. Can you cook?

Why yes, I can cook, and pretty well too! While back at the monastery, our communal life required for some of our brethren to do the cooking, but after leaving I have learned how to program and use almost any replicator I have had access to. Though the Matari replicators are rather primitive and sometimes don't give you what you ask for, I have found the Gallente replicators to really need some practice to use. I am truly amazed what that machine can do! Just as long as you have the right ingredients, it will make literally any dish you can think of.

2. What was your dream growing up?

Oh, I'm not sure. Like all children, I had lots of dreams.

I remember on summer, while staying at my grandfather's estate, I watched his Syrikos Trainer working with the dogs. Even though these creatures have the ability to tear a man apart, he confidently handled 12-14 dogs with just his whistles and commands. You could see that these primitive creatures had great respect and love for their master, and I oh so wanted to have such authority, even if it were only over dumb beasts.

3. What talent do you wish you had?

I wish I were more of a warrior. Ever since I was 12 years old, I had been trained and cultivated to be a theology scholar. My focus has been literature and theology, not in fighting. Now, after being forced into the war by recent circumstances, I find myself in great need for ... oh, what does the Matari call it... ah, "Blood Pride!" I do very well in a team formation, and when I have a task to accomplish, but to willfully go after the destruction of another, is not in my nature.

This might change someday.

4. Favorite place?

When I want to be alone, there is a quiet spot on our family's estate where I like to go and sit. It's by a lake that have a small cluster of trees that have grown all the way to the water's edge. An old tree fell down creating a log seat, just perfect, allowing you to look out over the water and reflect on the issues of the heart.

5. Favorite vegetable?

I don't know if I have a favorite. I like almost all vegetables. There is one veggie, I had been introduced to recently that traditionally comes from the Hek System in Metropolis. It's a rather green/ dark-greenish pod that grows on a small bush. Inside are flat white seeds. It doesn't have much of an odor to it, but if you bite into it, especially with the seeds, it is rather spicy hot! My nephew introduced me to a recipe using these pods. You slice them open and remove all of the seeds. Then you fill the insides with a soft cheese and either roll them in breadcrumbs, or thin strips of smoked meat. After that you cook them for about 15-20 minutes. John calls them Poppers, but I call them wonderful!

6. What was the last book you read?

Skill books aside, there is one book, or set of books that I am translating. About 20 years ago, an ancient cathedral was found, with a large portion of it's library intact. I had been asked by the Theology Council to head up a team to try and recover much of the writings. Most of the library was in Ancient Amarrian, or what is also referred to as Vulgata, or High Latin. Yet there were also a section of books written in several unknown languages. Languages that I was at first, not familiar with. Over the next couple of decades, I had single-handedly learned these two languages and translated most of these writings. The main focus of this library appears to be a single collection of smaller books, written in what was called Hebrew and Greek texts. This collection is referred to as the Sacred/ Holy Books, and each of the 66 smaller books all point to an individual referred to as the Chosen or Anointed One.

This finding has incredible repercussions! The writings, we think, predate the wormhole itself. If this is true, then this alone makes the cathedral and library the most important archaeological site known to date. Second, which is a much more dangerous, is that if these texts are accurate, and I think they are, it shows that the Amarrian religion is not what it once was. Because I had taken the oath of Saint Michael's, I cannot be silenced when I have the truth, but the Theology Council has ... how can I word this ... "encouraged" me to be careful in my findings.

[Gabriel sighs and is silent for a moment.]

This is the book I am reading. It teaches that Salvation is not just for the Amarrian, but for all of mankind! If brought out into the public with all of its force, this would rock the very foundations of the Empire. [another pause] ... and I am not sure if I am ready for that.

7. What zodiac sign are you ?

Zodiac? What is a zodiac?

8. Any Tattoos and/or Piercings?

No. None.

9. Worst Habit?

Oh my! Personally, I think I have too many bad habits.

If you ask my nephews, they will say it's my snoring. But actually, I think my very worst habit is my lack of patience with people.

But I am working on that.

10. Do we know each other outside of blogging?

I know John, but I guess that doesn't count. Several other bloggers, I have come to know through the use of a wonderful tool called, Twitter. I greatly enjoy listening to other people's "tweets". My username is GabbyTheodoulos. Please, please... feel free to tweet at me!

11. What is your favorite sport?

I'm not a sports enthusiast. I do enjoy watching the playoffs, but really, I don't have the time.

12. Negative or Optimistic attitude?

[Gabriel sits and ponders this one]
I am not quite sure how to answer this one. I believe that the highest culture and civilization offered to man is what is found in the Amarrian Empire. We have an excellent balance between secular and sacred, and a unity that is unmatched between the Empress and the common Amarrian.

My goal in life is to offer this gift to every living creature. Though they do not always understand or appreciate such a gift, I do believe that it is in their best interest and welfare if they are brought into the Empire. They are like little children who do not know how important it is to eat their vegetables. It is in their best interests that they learn to eat healthy, and sometimes, love demands discipline!

I am optimistic that we will prevail.

13. What would you do if you were stuck in an elevator with me?

I'm not quite sure how to answer that question. Do you bite? Do you shower regularly? Most likely I would be working with you on attempting a way of escape or rescue.

14. Worst thing to ever happen to you?

The loss of my brother Jed.

Jedadiah and I have been close all of our lives. Though I took the more secure and civilized course in life, Jed was always the more adventuresome. Many times, we would sit together and he would tell me of his escapades, and I would laugh at all the times he would find a way out of trouble. And I would be his anchor to reality, giving him a place to come back to the traditions and culture he loved most.

Recently, right as the war was breaking out, his transport was attacked by Matari barbarians. His pod was never found and his clone never activated.

[Gabe pauses a moment and as he looks up you notice the tears in his eyes.]

My goal is to find my brother and bring him home. One way or another.

15. Tell me one weird fact about you:

I'm sorry, I don't know how to answer that one. [Gabriel reaches down for a hankerchief to wipe his eyes] Is it not "weird" for a book-worm to be forced into the position of a warrior? If that is not weird, I don't know what is.

16. Do you have any pets?

No. No pets. My current state of affairs doesn't allow me pets.

17. Do you know how to do the Macarena?

The maca-what-a? I guess I don't!

18. What time is it where you are now?

At the station where I am assigned we are always on Eve Standard Time, or what others call Universal Time.

19. Do you think clowns are cute or scary?

[Gabe gives a confused look] Clowns?

20. If you could change one thing about how you look, what would it be?

I never really thought of that!

I had not started my capsuleer training until later in life and though "in theory" I will physically live forever, I will have the appearance of an older man. I think I would enjoy looking a couple of decades younger.

It's not a priority, but you did ask.

21. Would you be my crime partner or my conscience?

I would most assuredly be your conscience! Do right young man! Though the stars fall, and the mountains melt into the sea, DO RIGHT!

22. What color eyes do you have?

Hazel.

23. Ever been arrested?

Heavens, NO!

24. Favorite fictional character of all time?

I don't know. I don't read fiction.

25. If you won $10,000 dollars today, what would you do with it?

I am currently given an allowance of 500 to 600 Million isk per month from our family estate. What need would I have for US currency?

26. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

[Gabe brightens up on this...]

To read people's minds!

[he leans back, with a big smile, and slaps his knee] What a hoot that would be!

[Gabe pauses, gets a more serious look on his face, and sits up]

Well, come to think of it, reading people's minds might not be all that it's cracked up to be. I think I would pass on this one.

27. What’s your favorite hangout?

The estate, with my beloved family.

28. Do you believe in ghosts?

No.

29. Favorite thing to do in your spare time?

I enjoy reading, spending time with my family, and a good conversation with John. He's not the brightest, but I am learning to enjoy his company.

30. Do you swear a lot?

Heavens, NO!

31. Biggest pet peeve?

Stupid people. Ok, ok... I am learning to be patient, but there are a few who really crawl under my skin!

32. In one word, how would you describe yourself?

Sincere. And friendly! Oh? That is two words, isn't it?

Sincere.

33. Will you repost this so I can fill it out and do the same for you?

Be glad to my boy! Be glad to. Thank you for the questions.

1 comment:

Leumas said...

Enjoyed the creative IC response.